Day 26, 27, 28, 29 – Heide Park, reuniting with Hemyock and the Danes then back home!

(Click images to enlarge)

The below is a delayed final write up of the last few days of our big European trip. Sorry about the wait, it’s been a hectic few days since we got back to England.

Saturday was a very fun day, with the whole of it booked out to go to Heide Park. We got our early bus to the park, arriving shortly after it opened.

Unfortunately, the park was already packed. In hindsight, choosing a Saturday during the height of Summer, probably wasn’t the best choice!

Luckily, we did manage to get a few roller coasters in before the huge queues built up.

We had a fairly good morning, managing to get a go on all of the big rides, but it was around 3:00/3:30 that the weather decided to break and a fairly torrential storm hit the park. All the rides were closed and, along with all the other visitors, we had to find shelter in one of the restaurants. We had to wait here a few hours until our bus.

This was annoying to say the least!

Upon getting back to Hamburg, we stayed another night at our hostel.

Sunday, we got back into the standard busy routine; early start, pack bags, hand in key card, to the train/bus station.

This day we had booked the train from Hamburg to Vejle (in Denmark). Then another from Vejle to Thyregod (which was the closest we could take public transport to the Danish Camp).

The first train turned out to be one of the most overbooked any of us had ever been on. Over the tannoy you could hear “Please move down the train!” over and over, and we actually ended up in the first class carriage. Myself, Tom W and Tom C got 1st class seats – so I guess it wasn’t too bad!

All the disruption did mean we were delayed, and we actually missed our connecting train. Luckily, we found our line ran every hour, so we just waited until them.

Upon getting to Thyregod Station (at around 2:30), Anna and Anette (from the Danish Scout group) took us to the campsite where we reunited with the rest of the Danish Scouts.

It wasn’t until much later in the evening, around 9:00, that we were joined by the VERY tired Hemyock group – who had been travelling all day!

We spent Monday catching up with the two groups, then on Tuesday morning, Bing and Susanne (Haydn’s parents) kindly transported us to Vejle Station so we could get our train to Copenhagen airport.

We flew later that day, arriving in Heathrow around 5:30 then all got back to Taunton at 10:45.

That’s it! Two years in planning, our East to West European Tour is over…

Looking back at the past month, I can wholeheartedly say it’s one of the most fun – albeit knackering – experiences I have ever done. I hope the rest of the group enjoyed it as much as I did.

Highlights for me would be the beautiful Tallinn ‘old town’ in Estonia and also Sigulda in Latvia. Investing Tom Clist on the Slovakian border in the Tatra mountains would also be a personal highlight.

Skydiving will still go down as one of the most amazing things I have ever done.

I’d like to thank everyone in the group for their help in planning this huge trip.

Additional thanks goes to the fantastic Hemyock Scouts who got us all into Scouting and showed us what Scouting can be.

We’re planning to keep using this site for future events and activities and I know some of the members still have photos to post, so please keep following us! Here’s to future adventures!

Network, Scouts, travel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
You need to agree with the terms to proceed